Forums

Topic: Pure Xbox Game Club - 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🛢️Still Wakes the Deep🛢️🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 (Jul)

Posts 3,481 to 3,500 of 3,517

NintendoByNature

Might be shelving it unfortunately guys. I'm on chapter 13( just started). And yes, I'm very close to the end here, but from what I've read online, nothing changes from here on out. You're still just fighting rehashed bosses and groups of enemies at once. Its been that way the entire game. Unless someone here( @balta666) can tell me that things get really great from this chapter on, I'm good with deleting the game and moving on until the next game for the club is announced.

NintendoByNature

Balta666

So this month we have on our hands an early season horror game with Still Wakes the Deep as it has released just a few weeks ago as day one on gamepass.

Please use spoiler tags when discussing spoilerish moments of the game. You do so by typing your spoiler between spoiler tags like this: [spoiler]insert message here[ /spoiler] and removing the space between [ and /

Some HLTB Stats:

Main Story - 4.5 Hours
Main + Extras - 5 Hours
Completionist - 6 Hours

Tag list, please tag me and let me know if you want to be added or removed. I think I've picked up everyone who joined this month but please just post and tag me @Balta666 to let me know if I've missed you or if you want to join!
Also please let me know if you change your username, I might not notice and you won't get the notification (equally let me know if you have changed your username to get away from the notifications and I will delete you off the tag list 😆)

@Tothington91 @MAC26 @vidjagames @Justifier @Tjuz @nessisonett @crippyd @Krzzystuff @sib @LeanerFasterStronger @cracked_seal @Mr-Fuggles777 @Mundaney @KilloWertz @antifyre @Magabro @themightyant @ZeD @K1LLEGAL @Balta666 @Bmartin001 @R1spam @lookupmore @Lavalera @frabbit @FraserG @WCB @TooBarFoo @SeriousSatan @xMightyMatt14x @BaldBelper78 @TuckNorris85 @Grail_Quest @Jsb5150 @Mamabear @liljazzy2 @Dydreamr @XFinest_KnightX @Elufachi @Amical @Supermutant @revluke @Akropolon @olskoolSEGA @HarmanSmith @Dr_Devious04 @EliteSlayer @GamingFan4Lyf @Pepa27 @MaxC @NintendoByNature @ralphdibny @Captain_Chozo @HelloCraig @BlackMayge @kyleforrester87 @RDDMarston @Utena-mobile @oliverp @OldManLopan @jedinite @Bnasty0303 @AgentCooper @Angelus74 @Pastellioli @DoomGuy_117 @Ricky-Spanish @Yousef- @RBRTMNZ @BaldBelper78 @MjJmediablogger

Ok so now, votes for next month.

• Tag me in a post with your vote(s). (Just hit reply on one of my posts or write @Balta666)
  • Write your votes in bold (put the text in between asterisks) and try and keep it separate from any paragraphs.
  • One line will do, "My vote is such and such a game(s)"
  • Feel free to make the post longer but try and keep the actual vote separate from the main body of the text and at the top of the post next to my tag @Balta666
  • Vote for as many games as you like!
    The votes reset every month and start from Zero. Feel free to suggest new games and I will add them to the list and count your vote toward it!

American McGee's Alice -
Conker's Bad Fur Day - 2 (Ysf, Ptl)
Contrast -
Gears of War 2 -
Genesis Noir -
Ghost wire: Tokyo -
Halo 2 -
Inkulinati -
Inside -
Jusant -
Planet of Lana -
Remnant 2 -
Senua's Saga: Hellblade 2 -
Steamworld build -
The Evil Within 2 -
The Quarry - 1 (Acp)
Tomb Raider Definitive Edition -
Unravel -
We Happy Few -

If you have another game you'd like added to the list then let me know and I will add it with a vote from you!

For other tips on formatting texts in the forum's see the link below:
https://www.nintendolife.com/forums/help/tips_for_formatting_...

-- —

I will link to this post in my signature so you can just click on my signature down below to get back to this post and see the list of games and current votes!

Edited on by Balta666

Yousef-

Hello there. Thanks for the tag. Since I like being a bit of an early bird, I’ll write down my vote now.

• My vote is going to be Conker's Bad Fur Day. I own the game, so playing it will be extra convenient for me. Plus I need an excuse to finish it and I can’t deny horror isn’t my thing so I might skip out on this month’s pick. Have fun everyone!

Steam Friend Code: 1176431257

Switch friend code: SW-7391-1388-5607

Xbox Gamertag: ForgetMeNot3495
(text me on the Xbox Messenger so I see your FR)

Current Switch Physical Game Count: 26

Next Purchase: Disco Elysium

Xbox Gamertag: ForgetMeNot3495

ralphdibny

Ooo a 5-6 hour game, sounds perfect! 😀

Still Wakes the Deep has a bit of pedigree behind it in this club as it was developed by Brighton based developer The Chinese Room who made Amnesia Machine for Pigs which was part of the Amnesia Collection that we played a few months ago.

They also made Dear Esther, which was one of the first games I ever bought on Steam. I was a bit of a lapsed gamer back then with a rubbish PC so the relatively novel idea of a walking sim set in Britain was appealing to me.

Even though The Chinese Room is based in the opposite end of the UK, Still Wakes the Deep returns them to their video-gameified Scottish roots from Dear Esther.

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

ralphdibny

NintendoByNature wrote:

Might be shelving it unfortunately guys. I'm on chapter 13( just started). And yes, I'm very close to the end here, but from what I've read online, nothing changes from here on out. You're still just fighting rehashed bosses and groups of enemies at once. Its been that way the entire game. Unless someone here( @balta666) can tell me that things get really great from this chapter on, I'm good with deleting the game and moving on until the next game for the club is announced.

I think you had a good crack at it so well done! Sometimes life is too precious to grind out a video game!

See ya!

AgentCooper

@Balta666 I’ll go for The Quarry for August, definitely need an excuse to start it.

Hope everyone enjoys SWtD, I recently finished and loved it. If you’re going for the 100% GS remember the language needs changing before you select ‘New Game’. Have fun 👍

That gum you like is going to come back in style!

Xbox Gamertag: Peace Salad

Pastellioli

Seems like everyone is voting early now…I will vote for Conker’s Bad Fur Day again. Freaking love that game and I want an excuse to play it again now that I’ve finished a ton of other games that have been on my radar. Been always wanting to do a full second playthrough of it, though I might play the remake version if Bad Fur Day gets chosen.

Edited on by Pastellioli

Banjo is the best! I love Rare and 90s-00s games a ton.

Currently playing: Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Playing soon: TBD
Xbox Gamertag: VividSkies1778

NintendoByNature

@Balta666 @ralphdibny yep I gave it a fair shake. No reason to continue on if nothing changing from here on out. Not a bad game by any means, but also not a good game. From what I've played, it's nestled right around a 6.5/10. Great gameplay and combat, just needed some more variety.

Now onward to still wakes the deep. Excited to see what this ones all about.

NintendoByNature

DoomGuy_117

Nice. I actually started this yesterday.

GT - JohnnyUtah61
Nintendo - DarkFalco - SW - 1852-3950-9117

Pastellioli

@Balta666 sorry for replying late, fell asleep. The remake was released for the original Xbox, and is backwards compatible, so it can be played on the 360, One and the Series X and S, though it is separate from Game Pass. I bought it on the digital Microsoft store for $10.00 where I live, though I am sure some people are selling physical copies of it online. I’d recommend getting it if you can since it has better controls and is less repetitive than the original version. Bad Fur Day has a couple of moments that do frustrate me from how janky it is.

Edited on by Pastellioli

Banjo is the best! I love Rare and 90s-00s games a ton.

Currently playing: Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Playing soon: TBD
Xbox Gamertag: VividSkies1778

oliverp

Yeah I think we should maybe give people some time to play Still Wakes the Deep before adding votes to next months game. Just my opinion (of course that does not mean that we cant write about ohter games eleswhere on the forum).

oliverp

AgentCooper

@ralphdibny Have you played Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture? I loved that one. Dear Esther is brilliant too. I need to get round to Machine for Pigs someday.

That gum you like is going to come back in style!

Xbox Gamertag: Peace Salad

themightyant

I'll be frank, I have already finished Still Wakes the Deep but am replaying it for a few achievements and will be commenting as I go along.

I'll start by saying I think the gameplay is average at best, but I absolutely adore the writing, the voicework and the sense of place of this game, it just feels authentic. Verisimilitude - that sense of truthfulness - is REALLY important. We see far too much bad writing nowadays, with generic characters that don't feel either truthful or real, that it's a joy to experience characters that feel truly embedded in a time and place. They feel real.

I lived with a lovely but potty mouthed Scotsman for many years, a top lad, and this just brings me back to that, good memories. I really wish more games, or media in general, would give us authentic characters like this more often, it grounds the whole experience and elevates the rest so that the worse aspects, like the sub-par gameplay, matter less.

Mostly enjoying it a lot, even second time around.

Edited on by themightyant

themightyant

themightyant

@AgentCooper Similar boat to you. I loved Dear Esther (I still dream about that cave) and Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture, though a little less so. This feels very much in line with those games. So won't be for everyone (I know you can say that about ANY game, but some are more niche)... but they are for me.

Like you I never got around to Machine for Pigs, horror just not my usual jam. Also didn't play Little Orpheus either so might try and give that a go.

themightyant

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic