Forums

Topic: Pure Xbox Game Club - DOUBLE BILL: Mafia Definitive Edition / Banjo-Tooie (Sep)

Posts 3,001 to 3,020 of 3,636

NintendoByNature

I'll keep my votes at cocoon and solar ash. I've been holding off on both in the event that they're the game of the month.

NintendoByNature

vidjagames

I think Cocoon sounds great. I’m xbontendo by the way, new account

vidjagames

themightyant

@Balta666 Obviously all left Game Pass now which is shame but...

I REALLY enjoyed Turnip Boy. It's very short - took me 3 or 4 hours - and simple but it has good writing and a lot of charm. I can't describe it in words to do it justice, just have a look at a video to see if it's your kinda thing. It doesn't do anything particular new or incredible, but what it does it does really well. Strongly recommended & looking forward to the sequel.

I also liked Tian Ding. It's a bit like a saturday morning cartoon wrapped up in a comic book aesthetic with an Asian twist. It's both developed and set in Taiwan which gave it a unique style I liked. Hard to describe the genre. It is a quasi-metroidvania crossed with a beat-em-up. It's a bit janky in places but I had a good time for about 8 hours. More cautiously recommended.

They were both perfect palate cleansers after spending 200 hours in Starfield, was nice to play games that respected my time!

Signalis, the most reputed of the bunch, I struggled with a lot more. It's got heavy MGS1 x Resident Evil 1 vibes but it also has it's own aesthetic going on. I LOVED the atmosphere and style of it but HATED the gameplay. It has some seriously obtuse game design especially inventory management - running back and forth to make space CONSTANTLY. But perhaps I had PTSD from Starfield and it taking longer to sell all my loot than to acquire it. Running back and forth between many retailers on different planets just to sell my loot...

I also really didn't like the storytelling. It FELT like it was stringing you along for a big reveal, but then it never came... left me blue-balled. I don't mind artistic games that leave the interpretation up to you, I liked Scorn despite all it's flaws, but that never felt like there was going to be big pay-off, unlike here.

Many call Signalis a masterpiece, and I can understand why it IS pretty unique, but I can't recommend it. But you might feel differently

[Edited by themightyant]

themightyant

themightyant

@Balta666 I read after I played it that Signalis was developed over 8 years. That makes a lot more sense as the gameplay design is so antiquated. I've not wanted to like a game more in a long time, there's so much good potential... but I just didn't enjoy it.

Immortality is on my backlog. I ADORED Her Story, one of the most memorable games I've ever played, sticks with you. But Telling Lies was a bad facsimile. Hoping to get round to it soon.

themightyant

R1spam

@Balta666 I have already played cocoon but could recommend for game club! So many "oh I can do that" moments. I wouldn't vote for anything else just as folks should play this. I'm definitely interested to hear folks thoughts vs limbo/inside from a gameplay/story perspective!

PSN: Tiger-tiger_82
XBOX: Placebo G

oliverp

Thanks for the uppdate @Balta66. I may or may not play cocoon but I will definitely keep an eye on this thread and eventually cast a vote for December

oliverp

ralphdibny

I finished SOMA the other day. I will just share some brief thoughts on it.

Overall, I very much enjoyed it. There was one fairly tedious part in the middle of the game (Theta Labs Maintenance) but that was the only part that I didn't enjoy too much. I would say that I played it over 3-4 play sessions and I did find that I had to encourage myself to play it initially but once I got into it, I was enjoying it.

The game is definitely less scary than all of the Amnesia games but I think it does have a more interesting story. Maybe because it examines the "self" in a more prominent fashion so it appeals to more selfish people (like myself 🤪). It is also purely sci fi rather than the Sci-Fantasy of the Amnesia games.

Throughout the game you have to make a few decisions. I know nobody else played this game but I will give a brief overview of how I made my decisions in case anybody picks it up (or @LtSarge pops by to this thread for a cup of tea 😀). Largely, I killed everyone I saw, I deleted all of the brain scans including of myself and I killed my previous body when I woke up in my new one. Honestly, with the world within the game and the lack of awareness that the characters showed regarding their real world state, all of these killings seemed like mercy kills. This is to the point that when I was discussing killing in the game with my partner as we played through, I consistently used the word "euthanise". Like, "I just euthanised that robot" etc.

At a couple points during the game, you have the opportunity to take part in a questionnaire regarding how you feel about your situation, the goal you are trying to achieve and what that goal will be like once it is achieved. You answer this questionnaire about half way through the game and the same questionnaire in a sequence after the credits roll and you've completed the game. My answers to the first one were rather negative and definitely condemned the horrid nature of what life had become and what would become, as well as expressing disgust and discomfort at my part in it. However, weirdly, my answers in the final questionnaire were way more positive, I was happy. I am not sure if the fact the game was over and the fact my character (or a version of my character at least) actually succeeded in their mission affected this or whether I truly had changed my mind with regards to the questions asked. Its food for thought anyway.

Overall, regarding both the questionnaire and the euthanasia, there seems to be a few schools of thought on it. I did look up what other player's did and it seems like some people played like I did and some played it completely differently. Some reasons aligned with my own and some reasoning was completely different but totally understandable. I'd love to hear what @LtSarge (and any one else who has played it before) thought when they played this game.

Overall, the choices didn't matter to the outcome. Unlike Amnesia, SOMA only has one ending but the journey you take to that ending, while mechanically the same, can be vastly emotionally different between two playthroughs. As an aside, for whoever is interested, this is an easy 1000GS that you seem to get entirely just through playing to completion.

Anyway, top game. I enjoyed it a lot!

Rating = SSG for SO-MA, so good

We also played through Amnesia: The Bunker this weekend. This can actually be one of the shortest games by the developers Frictional Games. HLTB lists it as 5 hours and while I did put in a bit more than that my end game stats said I beat it in roughly 3 hours and 20 minutes. (I guess it doesn't record the time you waste after a save if you die, which I did, a lot.)

The Bunker is 100% the most "game-like" experience out of Frictional's back catalogue. So those who don't gel with walking sims may get more out of this one. There are definitely a few ways to approach it but the available gameplay loop that I employed basically revolved around the concept of being tethered to a particular place by a metaphorical elastic band, collecting resources, returning and then exploring further out on my next trip. I don't think this is a spoiler to say but there is a basically a safe-room that contains a generator that you can keep topped up with fuel to keep the lights on around the titular bunker. It is also your save point and your item store so apart from a few instances, if you die, you return to this room.

While I say that is how you play the game, looking around online, it seems like you can play in other ways and use the resources for different things. I used fuel exclusively to keep the generator running which seems like the most basic approach and tethered me to the safe-room but it can also be used to make molotov cocktails, burn corpses, burn rats and just burn the floor to create a barrier between you and the monster. I have seen some say that the generator is basically useless on higher difficulties which implies that the gameplay can be radically changed based on both player behaviour and how the game difficulty scales. I would say that that is quite an achievement on behalf of Frictional Games, to have actually created a single player linear narrative that can be approached with more than one gameplay style using different game mechanics.

Also, Amnesia: The Bunker is easily the hardest Frictional/Amnesia game. I died more in this game than I did in The Dark Descent, Justine, Machine for Pigs, SOMA and Rebirth combined. I think this is because of the randomness of each "run". I use the word "run" to describe the time between leaving the safe room to accomplish your short term goals and returning to the safe room. The monster's location is almost always random barring a few scripted moments. There are also things that sometimes you have to do (and sometimes you don't) that will attract the monster, namely blowing wooden doors open with grenades and winding up your torch near a monster hole. There are places to hide, sometimes a big cupboard, sometimes under a table but most of the time I ended up hot footing it all the way back to the safe room, that is if the monster didn't kill me (which it did, a lot). But that goes to show how small the game's map size is, I think there is only one area that I dreaded the idea of returning to (and thankfully I didn't have to) and that was the maze of boxes and storage shelves in the Arsenal area.

The link to the overarching story of the Amnesia series is tenuous at best. It only really comes into play briefly toward the end of the game. This game could honestly have existed on its own without that link and it would have still been great. I would say that brief area you visit toward the end of the game (as well as its associated lore) would probably be a bit confusing if you hadn't played a previous Amnesia game but it is so vaguely described and short that you will probably be a bit more like wtf rather than thinking it has spoiled the game or anything.

Overall this is a wicked game, it changes enough about the Amnesia formula to appeal to the non-fans as well as playing up the best parts of the formula to appease existing fans of the series.

Rating: BUWTB for Bunk up with The Bunker

See ya!

R1spam

@ralphdibny I'm glad you have enjoyed the Amnesia series and great write up for the bunker! Whilst it doesn't sound like my thing at all, the premise seems pretty novel and likely bloody terryfing!!

PSN: Tiger-tiger_82
XBOX: Placebo G

ralphdibny

@R1spam cheers bud! I think the rubber band playstyle of retreating to the safe room to refuel the generator really adds to the tension. It's weird because while it starts off scary in a similar way to the previous Amnesia games, being regularly killed by the monster desensitises the player a bit to that style of horror but the tension is ratcheted up by the additional agency afforded to the player. So it's still scary but in a new way!

See ya!

themightyant

@ralphdibny Enjoyed your reviews of Amnesia and SOMA. That has been installed on my PS4&5 for a generation. Too many games not enough time!

themightyant

ralphdibny

@themightyant cheers mate! I'm kind of torn sometimes between writing updates as I play like I did with SOMA and just writing a full review of the game like I did with The Bunker because my score ratings wont have full context immediately available if I do it the first way.

Updates are more conducive to the nature of the game club thread and are also good for collating thoughts contemporaneously but writing a full review and slapping a score on it is really fun and satisfying.

I suppose if I wanted to have an in depth review on record, I could go back and collate my sporadic thoughts along with my ultimate review score and keep a record of it somewhere!

[Edited by ralphdibny]

See ya!

Balta666

With November it comes to the club Cocoon. It is a game from the developers of Limbo and Inside and it has a metacritic score of 88 (for the ones that enjoy the stats ).
On top of gamepass it can played Xbox one, PS4/5, Switch and Steam.

Please use spoiler tags when discussing spoilerish moments of the game. You do so by typing your spoiler between spoiler tags like this: [spoiler]insert message here[ /spoiler] and removing the space between [ and /

Some HLTB Stats:
Main Story - 4.5 Hours
Main + Extras - 5 Hours
Completionist - 5 Hours

Tag list, please tag me and let me know if you want to be added or removed. I think I've picked up everyone who joined this month but please just post and tag me @Balta666 to let me know if I've missed you or if you want to join!
Also please let me know if you change your username, I might not notice and you won't get the notification (equally let me know if you have changed your username to get away from the notifications and I will delete you off the tag list 😆)
@Tothington91 @MAC26 @vidjagames @Justifier @Tjuz @nessisonett @crippyd @Krzzystuff @sib @LeanerFasterStronger @cracked_seal @Mr-Fuggles777 @Mundaney @KilloWertz @antifyre @Magabro @themightyant @ZeD @K1LLEGAL @Balta666 @Bmartin001 @R1spam @lookupmore @Lavalera @frabbit @FraserG @WCB @TooBarFoo @SeriousSatan @xMightyMatt14x @BaldBelper78 @TuckNorris85 @Grail_Quest @Jsb5150 @Mamabear @liljazzy2 @Dydreamr @XFinest_KnightX @Elufachi @Amical @Supermutant @revluke @Akropolon @olskoolSEGA @HarmanSmith @Dr_Devious04 @EliteSlayer @GamingFan4Lyf @Pepa27 @MaxC @NintendoByNature @ralphdibny @Captain_Chozo @HelloCraig @BlackMayge @kyleforrester87 @RDDMarston @Utena-mobile @oliverp @OldManLopan

Ok so now, votes for next month.

• Tag me in a post with your vote(s). (Just hit reply on one of my posts or write @Balta666)
  • Write your votes in bold (put the text in between asterisks) and try and keep it separate from any paragraphs.
  • One line will do, "My vote is such and such a game(s)"
  • Feel free to make the post longer but try and keep the actual vote separate from the main body of the text and at the top of the post next to my tag @Balta666
  • Vote for as many games as you like!
    The votes reset every month and start from Zero. Feel free to suggest new games and I will add them to the list and count your vote toward it!
    American McGee's Alice - 1 (Rdb)
    As Dusks Falls - 1 (Tma)
    Broken Age -
    Chicory: A Colourful Tale -
    Doom 3 -
    Dordogne -
    Cassete Beasts -
    Contrast -
    Dead Space Remake - 4 (Tma, Nbn, Bb78, R1s)
    Fe -
    Genesis Noir -
    Ghostwire: Tokyo - 1 (Olp)
    Hypnospace Outlaw -
    Inside -
    Jusant - 3 (Blt, R1s Nbn)
    Like a Dragon the Man who Erased his Name - 1 (Olp)
    Maquette -
    Max: The Curse of the Brotherhood -
    McPixel 3 -
    Planet of Lana - 1 (R1s)
    Quake 2 - (Oml)
    Remnant -
    Screamride –
    Slayers X: Terminal Aftermath -
    Solar Ash -
    Sunset Overdrive - 3 (Hc, Nbn, Oml)
    The Evil Within 2 -
    Tunic -
    Unravel - 1 (Blt)
    Wo Long: Fallen Destiny -

If you have another game you'd like added to the list then let me know and I will add it with a vote from you!

For other tips on formatting texts in the forum's see the link below:
https://www.nintendolife.com/forums/help/tips_for_formatting_...

I will link to this post in my signature so you can just click on my signature down below to get back to this post and see the list of games and current votes!

[Edited by Balta666]

themightyant

@Balta666 Thanks as ever for your work on this, much appreciated.

I look forward to sharing my thoughts on Cocoon.

My votes for December are As Dusks Falls & Dead Space Remake which just joined Game Pass Ultimate (I know we played the original just over a year ago, thought might be interesting to compare the remake). I'm currently playing Jusant, and enjoying it, else I would have voted for that.

I finally got around to a game club title I missed a few years ago.... heavily belated review incoming shortly.

[Edited by themightyant]

themightyant

ralphdibny

I couldn't find a cocoon emoji for the thread title 🙁. I've had to put the stages either side of the cocoon instead. Is this game about bugs lol

I've played Limbo but I haven't played Inside. Might give that a go before Cocoon.

See ya!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic