Forums

Topic: Pure Xbox Game Club - DOUBLE BILL: Mafia Definitive Edition / Banjo-Tooie (Sep)

Posts 3,541 to 3,560 of 3,636

Pastellioli

@Balta666 Ok! I’ll wait.

A run-of-the-mill gamer that loves retro games, squirrels, and sleeping.

Current obsession: Conker’s Bad Fur Day

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss

Xbox Gamertag: VividSkies1778

Balta666

It is once again time for nostalgia as we will be entering the crass and drunkish world of Conker's bad fur day!

The original version is available on GP through Rare Replay (or you can dust off your N64!). Conker: live and Reloaded is available as backwards compatible from the OG Xbox and has been given on games with gold in the past (these games are not taken from your library even if you unsubscribe).

Please use spoiler tags when discussing spoilerish moments of the game. You do so by typing your spoiler between spoiler tags like this: [spoiler]insert message here[ /spoiler] and removing the space between [ and /

Some HLTB Stats:

Main Story - 11 Hours
Main + Extras - 12 Hours
Completionist - 12 Hours

Tag list, please tag me and let me know if you want to be added or removed. I think I've picked up everyone who joined this month but please just post and tag me @Balta666 to let me know if I've missed you or if you want to join!
Also please let me know if you change your username, I might not notice and you won't get the notification (equally let me know if you have changed your username to get away from the notifications and I will delete you off the tag list 😆)

@Tothington91 @MAC26 @vidjagames @Justifier @Tjuz @nessisonett @crippyd @Krzzystuff @sib @LeanerFasterStronger @cracked_seal @Mr-Fuggles777 @Mundaney @KilloWertz @antifyre @Magabro @themightyant @ZeD @K1LLEGAL @Balta666 @Bmartin001 @R1spam @lookupmore @Lavalera @frabbit @FraserG @WCB @TooBarFoo @SeriousSatan @xMightyMatt14x @BaldBelper78 @TuckNorris85 @Grail_Quest @Jsb5150 @Mamabear @liljazzy2 @Dydreamr @XFinest_KnightX @Elufachi @Amical @Supermutant @revluke @Akropolon @olskoolSEGA @HarmanSmith @Dr_Devious04 @EliteSlayer @GamingFan4Lyf @Pepa27 @MaxC @NintendoByNature @ralphdibny @Captain_Chozo @HelloCraig @BlackMayge @kyleforrester87 @RDDMarston @Utena-mobile @oliverp @OldManLopan @jedinite @Bnasty0303 @AgentCooper @Angelus74 @Pastellioli @DoomGuy_117 @Ricky-Spanish @Yousef- @RBRTMNZ @BaldBelper78 @MjJmediablogger

Ok so now, votes for next month.

• Tag me in a post with your vote(s). (Just hit reply on one of my posts or write @Balta666)
  • Write your votes in bold (put the text in between asterisks) and try and keep it separate from any paragraphs.
  • One line will do, "My vote is such and such a game(s)"
  • Feel free to make the post longer but try and keep the actual vote separate from the main body of the text and at the top of the post next to my tag @Balta666
  • Vote for as many games as you like!
    The votes reset every month and start from Zero. Feel free to suggest new games and I will add them to the list and count your vote toward it!

American McGee's Alice -
Banjo-Tooie - 2 (Pst, Ysf)
Contrast -
Gears of War 2 - 1 (Ysf)
Genesis Noir -
Ghost wire: Tokyo -
Halo 2 - 1 (Pst)
Inkulinati -
Inside -
Jusant -
Mafia Definitive Edition - 2 (Aco Rsp)
Perfect Dark Zero - 1 (Pst)
Planet of Lana -
Remnant 2 -
Senua's Saga: Hellblade 2 -
Steamworld build -
The Evil Within 2 -
The Lords of the Fallen - 1 (Gf4)
The Quarry -
Tomb Raider Definitive Edition -
Unravel -
We Happy Few -

If you have another game you'd like added to the list then let me know and I will add it with a vote from you!

For other tips on formatting texts in the forum's see the link below:
https://www.nintendolife.com/forums/help/tips_for_formatting_...

-- —

I will link to this post in my signature so you can just click on my signature down below to get back to this post and see the list of games and current votes!

[Edited by Balta666]

Pastellioli

Heck yeah, been waiting a few months for this!

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss

ralphdibny

Oh dear, I have committed the most cardinal of sins and not played the game that I voted for 😱. I have broken my own rules but I have had way too much on this month. I still plan to play it though.

Anyway, I will make myself useful and change the thread title!

See ya!

Pastellioli

Going to start now. Can’t wait to discuss the game with everyone! Let’s hope my second playthrough goes well.

Pastellioli

Just finished the first chapter this morning and getting onto the next one. The moments are still so charming and silly! The most well-known part was this moment with a bee and a sunflower, and when you get onto that part, you’ll see why. The aiming during a few of the segments with projectiles was a bit off since there isn’t an aiming reticle, but it wasn’t bad. I’ll go back to playing later.

[Edited by Pastellioli]

Bob_Salat

@Balta666 Super, thanks for continuing the good work of running this thing 👍

I’ll pop a vote for Mafia: Definitive Edition for September

Obrigado!

Pastellioli

Already completed the chapters Sloprano and Bats Tower. Sloprano was pretty funny (both ironically and unironically) and the boss was pretty memorable. Bats Tower was fine, but I forgot that Conker runs out of breath pretty fast during the underwater segments and the camera sometimes refused to move at times. The bosses are pretty wild and absurd, but they are a bit too easy for me to beat since I know what to do.

I am on the entrance to the next chapter, Uga Buga, but the entrance is maybe one of the worst parts I remember experiencing. You have to avoid getting killed underwater by these sets of fans and you are forced to redo the part if you get killed, and it requires timing. I’m stalling a ton since I’m so anxious I’ll die in one-hit and need to restart it. I want to use the chapters function to skip it, but that’d be cheating.

The game is still fun and I still find a lot of charm in it and its fun and crass writing, but it has some pretty awfully designed parts in its levels. The next chapter is honestly one of the game’s worst since it’s loaded with a lot of annoying, bad tasks and level design, (especially with this mini game they throw in nearing the end of the chapter) so I’m not looking forward to revisiting it.

[Edited by Pastellioli]

Balta666

Well Conker is a game I have finished once back in the N64 days, I remember both enjoyed it for its humour and design but also being fairly often lost and frustrated with the platforming/combat.

I own live and reloaded from games with gold so I have started that the other day to see the differences and oh boy how good this game looks!

First impact is the quality of the voice acting and a reminder of how much I don't like the Mumbo Jumbo of banjo's games, secondly is the inventiveness of its scenarios specially to the end.

I found the platforming way less of a trouble than I remember (maybe from better camera than the original) apart from the fact, quite often the jump input would not trigger and I would fall to my doom and surprisingly I never got lost. The only parts I needed a hand was in understanding how to beat the bosses as they can be quite cryptic (and still dying a lot to execute but it is also great that you can skip cutscenes after the second time forward).

I ended up finishing the game in two sittings and falling in love with it for a second time. It is my second favourite Rare game after Perfect Dark!

[Edited by Balta666]

Pastellioli

@Balta666 I am pretty new to Conker, I only played it for the first time last year and finished both the original and the remake. This is the first time I am attempting a second full playthrough of the original.

I am playing through the original but I do like some parts of the remake over it. The controls and camera are really better, and I do find the graphics to be so beautiful and outdo the graphics in the original by a ton, though I wish the cartoony look, vibrant colors and aspects relating to it were kept in the remake, and the censoring on some mild swear words is a bit silly and they don’t even have the same meaning as the f-word. A fun fact is that the remake was originally being made as being fully uncensored and uncut, which was its selling point, but they were forced to censor it a bit more because of Microsoft not wanting to offend people. I also find the voice acting great, it’s more impressive when you find out it was all done by three people. So many different ranges! The original was pretty impressive technically for the N64.

And definitely agree on the combat. The original has some awful, awful combat and the lack of an aiming reticle during the gunplay just makes it worse. The shooting gameplay gets worse later on during one of the game’s final chapters since it requires you to be alert and fast. Also not looking forward to getting to that too…

[Edited by Pastellioli]

Pastellioli

@Balta666 The War chapter is so bad in the original with its difficulty paired with the bad gunplay and slower controls. The remake definitely does the gameplay and controls better. It’s a shame, cuz it’s easily the coolest moment and chapter in the game for me but its the hard difficulty and bad gameplay there that makes me not want to replay that part again, but I’m going to have to! The timed escape was awful, paired with you having to retain a good amount of health and avoid getting hit by lasers. I should have gone to the remake instead for this month, but it’s too late since I’ve made a good amount of progress in the original. I’m still stuck on the one-hit blade segment, and at this point I just feel like using the chapter function this once to skip it, but I don’t think the chapter function counts as a full playthrough. The game is so great but it’s also hard to revisit.

EDIT: Finally got through the underwater fan segment without using the chapter function! I wasted an hour on it lol. Took a lot of time and patience. Time to move onto my most least favorite level in the game by far!

[Edited by Pastellioli]

dmcc0

I played Live & Reloaded a while back and couldn't really see what all the fuss was about. I thought it was fairly mediocre to be honest and didn't even finish it. The the novelty of the crude humour got boring pretty quickly for me and it was all just a bit 'meh'.

dmcc0

Pastellioli

@dmcc0 I don’t really mind the humor and do think it works but the gameplay is easily the worst part for me. Sort of now starting to realize how bad the game (especially the original) plays and the levels being crammed with bad objectives. It has to be the novelty crude humor that overshadows the bad gameplay and why no one talks about the awful gameplay and level design.

Balta666

@dmcc0 @Pastellioli the humour is not to everyone taste but I do enjoy the 4th wall breaking quite a lot (I see a lot of Conker's in Deadpool adaptation nowadays).
Gameplay wise of the OG it is a bit of its time while wanting to do a lot. I particularly like that more than levels you have an over world divided by load screens and it is difficult to play 15min without seeing a new and creative idea (on top of homages to pop culture of the time)

[Edited by Balta666]

Pastellioli

@Balta666 The humor is one of the games strengths, and it’s biggest strength is it’s comedic and crass writing and characters. The comedy in it really makes the game more memorable, and the humor is also used to subvert expectations and cliches and tropes associated with kiddy platformer games. The movie and pop culture parodies and homages are the best. The coolest thing is how they are used in relation to the theme of the level they are in, and for me it never felt super random or forced. The game is pretty creative with its ideas and the game can take a lot of surprising and sometimes unexpected turns with its objectives when you do play it for the first time.

[Edited by Pastellioli]

Pastellioli

Update on my progress: Maybe midway through the game, have about three or four more chapters left. I made progress on Uga Buga and almost done with it, but I’m now onto the racing minigame, which is going to absolutely frustrate me a lot. I already struggled with a few parts of this level. It’s absolutely not my favorite and I can’t wait until I get it done.

EDIT: I was quickly able to finish the racing mini game. It surprisingly wasn’t as bad as I remember it being and I’m just going to assume that I sucked at it when I played it for the first time, but it was occasionally annoying and the dino obstacles have an absolutely terrible hitbox. Despite completing it fast, it still really doesn’t change my opinion that this is a terribly designed level. The racing minigame is so random and it seems like they threw it in there without much thought. I’m onto the boss of the level, but I’m going to deal with that later. Luckily the boss is easy to deal with compared to the other tasks in the level.

However, the funny humor is still there, and an early part I did like was the prehistoric nightclub. That’s maybe the only good part but some issues it has is it not telling the player what to do and you aren’t able to move closer when moving the rock partygoers down the doorways. The remake does fix that issue, but I’m playing the original.

The part where your tasked with using a bomb to destroy the caveman ecosystem was annoying, but it probably was because I sometimes wasted a few seconds trying to avoid getting hit inside the entrance to the location where you use the bomb. You pretty much have to do the task without pausing or stopping in order to get it down in time, and that’s what I pretty much forgot when I kept doing it. I honestly think I’m getting a bit worse at this game!

[Edited by Pastellioli]

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic