Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 301 to 304 of 304

RR529

Movies I've watched over the past couple weeks:

Blazing Saddles (Blu-Ray) - Definitely delivers quite a few laughs during it's runtime (I especially liked the Looney Tunes-esque bits), and I can definitely see why it would have been such a seminal satire for it's era, but like most films made before the 80's I kinda found it hard to really connect to it on a personal level (just a bit too far culturally removed I guess). Still a pretty good film though.

Heaven's Lost Property the Movie: the Angeloid of Clockwork (Blu-Ray) - Anime film that follows up the two HLP TV series. Kinda disappointing as the first half is just an abridged retelling of the preceding shows, and once it does get to the meat of things it feels more like a side step narratively than a way forward, but if you liked the shows (which I'd only recommend if you like raunchy comedies), it may be worth a watch.

Kingsman: the Secret Service (Blu-Ray) - Perhaps the best action flick of the 2010's? Every single action scene is just as exciting today as they were when it first released, it successfully modernizes the "Bond" archetype movie going experience by making dapper chaps in suits with fancy gizmos awesome instead of cheesy. It maybe loses a bit of something once Colin Firth is written out, but is still highly enjoyable.

Troy (Blu-Ray) - the Extended cut. Absolutely fantastic historical epic. Top notch acting performances from everyone involved, incredibly immersive epic scale recreation of Troy & the battles surrounding it, and some great action (especially that fight between Hector & Achilles). My only criticism is that I got a little tired of how constantly brown/beige the whole color pallet looked, but that's a small issue.

Watchmen (*Blu-Ray) - The Director's Cut. I have quite a bit of nostalgia for this one, though I'll admit I didn't quite like it as much this time as I did in the past. Still a great film though, and much more interesting take on the superhero genre than most of the "cinematic universe" superhero films we get these days.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

RR529

Films I watched over the weekend.

Alien Romulus (Cinema) - No overwrought lore and overbearing technical jargon kept to a limit, this is a back to basics affair that follows a group of scared youths fighting for their lives against unimaginable horrors amongst the decaying husk of an orbital research station. It's absolutely stunning, brutal, tense, icky, and the best thing I've seen in theatres since Dune Part 2. If you have even a passing interest in deep space/future sci-fi you owe it to yourself to see this.

Gran Torino (Blu-Ray) - Every once in awhile my parents will introduce me to a movie that I otherwise wouldn't watch but end up loving, and this is one of those films (though this isn't the first time I watched it). Clint Eastwood plays the role of a crotchety (& kinda racist) old man who forms a connection with a new immigrant family next door, and in his own way tries to keep their teenaged children from falling in/victim to the local gang(s).

Heaven's Lost Property Final (Blu-Ray) - What a load of crock. Following on from the preceding two TV series & film in the HLP franchise, this film seeks to be the big finale, or at least the title would lead you to believe so. However in practice this has to be the most ill conceived/mismanaged efforts in closure I've ever seen (even by anime standards of "we're cancelling the series before reaching the manga's conclusion", it's terrible). Starts out in the middle of the big climactic final battle with no context as to what's going on, precedes to have a 40 minute long flashback (which is like 90% of the film's runtime) that never gets around to addressing how the final battle begins, then in it's final moments returns to the "present" only to not show how things end either.

Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs (Blu-Ray) - For the first ever feature length animation this has a lot of elements that still impress (like a lot of the water effects, such as when the camera is looking up at the titular heroine from the inside of a well), you can really tell that the animators really poured their heart & soul into this as they had everything riding on it. That said it's characters don't have much in the way of character, especially Snow White (and her "Prince Charming", who shows up like twice), although the dwarfs have a few good comedic relief bits.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Star Trek 2009 (Blu-Ray) - I may be a bit biased as it's one I watched in theaters when it first came out, but this one is a blast. The cast has great chemistry & seems to be having fun, and it's a big fun roaring sci-fi film. I can't really speak on it's qualities as a "Trek" film as it was never really an important franchise for me growing up, but on it's own merit I always have a good time watching this.

Cutthroat Island (Blu-Ray) - I hadn't heard of this until now, but as I didn't yet have any seafaring/pirate movies in my collection, I picked up the BD when I saw it at a thrift store. Nothing particularly noteworthy, but it's a fun enough swashbuckler (I really liked the big ship battle in the climax though).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic